You are here
Moment a Muslim mother is forced to ask the permission of Islamic clerics in a BRITISH Sharia court to divorce her drug dealer husband
- Channel 4 documentary was granted access to Birmingham Central Mosque
- Filmed over a year, provided an eye-opening insight into lives of British Muslims
- First episode looks at marriage and relationships between Muslims
- Men and women who have Islamic weddings aren't married in eyes of British law
- Birmingham Central Mosque's Sharia Court has the only female judge in the UK
The Islamic court, which seeks to provide Muslims with resolutions to financial, familial and marital disputes according to the principles of their faith, granted Fatima's request. But that she was forced to plead her case at all is in stark contrast to the divorce process for Muslim men, who need only tell their spouse 'I divorce you' three times in order to free themselves of a marriage.